Monday, September 15, 2008

Norwegian Star Hat

My grandson is modeling my first fair isle type knitted hat. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The hat was made with the same yarn as the 1864 Godey's Shawl.

I got the pattern for the hat through Ravelry. The pattern called for size 7 needles but the yarn suggested size 8 needles. I chose to use the size 8. The hat came out a little large but I'm really happy about that. I don't particularly like tight fitting hats. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Spun Roving & Shawls

I finished spinning my dyed roving. At first I was a little disappointed on how it turned out, colorwise, that is. I was expecting to see more blotches of red. In person it's more of an orange color. But when you look at it close-up, you can see the red. It reminds me of the color of fire so that's what I named it. I have approximately 285 yards. Now to figure out what to make with it.

This week I've been busy doing my "homework" for the Harry Potter Knitting/Crocheting House Cup (HPKCKC) forum on Ravelry. We're basically pretending to be students at Hogwarts. Since most of the sorting hat quizzes put me in Hufflepuff, that was the house I requested and was sorted to. There are classes and even a quidditch team. It was very well thought out. All the participates are having a great time.

I've started making the Danish Tie-Shawl. I'm about three-fourths done with it. I'm making it out of Red Heart Painted Sand. I figured for my first one, I'd chose a variegated so I didn't want to mess around changing colors every few rows. I'm not sure if I'll make another one of these or not.

I finished making a pair of socks that I dyed in my class at Hanks. I'll have to take a picture. They turned out very well.