Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Tatted Teapot Pin

I had a fantastic time at Tat Days this year.  I was able to get several more books, thread, and plenty of bobbins.  I got one of the Shuttle Brothers double bobbin shuttles.  I also got to look at the Handy Hands post shuttle with hook.  I bought two to try out.  I think I'll still prefer the bobbin type for ease of changing thread color and size.

Garmin got me there without any trouble.  This is probably the only time I didn't take a side trip.

I was able to finish 2 of the projects while at Tat Days.  Here's a photo of the pin.  The white teapot kept washing out with the flash so I took one without it.  It's kind of dark but it shows the idea of the pin.  Any shank button can be used as long as the shank is the right length.

I can't wait until next year.  Next year's theme is Angels.

Saturday, August 23, 2014


I made this sunbonnet for Mary.  The pattern is from the 1860s.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fabric Snowflakes

I made this at Sewing Guild today.  The original pattern used card stock but being a sewing guild, we use stiffened fabric.  It's about 6" square.  Although it would be awkward, it could be made in a smaller size.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014


These are 3 snowflakes that I made for an exchange.  Although it doesn't show up real well in the photo, they are tatted with size 10 Lizbeth thread Blue Ice (top), Blue Ice and white (bottom left), and white (bottom right).  The color is better in Photoshop. They go in the mail tomorrow.  The pattern is in the New Tatting book.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hats Are Done

Hand surgery at the end of May kept me from doing very much in the way of crafts although I was able to sew on the sewing machine but that was all I could do.  So if it wasn't already cut out, I couldn't sew.  Once the swelling started going down and my fingers started working like normal, I would do a little knitting each night.

The Harry Potter Year 1 hats for Samantha and and her sister Jasmine are finished and are ready to ship.  The beret (top) is for Samantha and the beanie (bottom) is for Jasmine.  I hope they like them.  I made both hats in size medium.  I hope they fit.  It's hard making something for someone you haven't seen and have no idea what size they are.

The Project of Doom quilt was finished back in May. My block is on row 3 next to the owl block.

Now I can get back to tatting.  That is so much easier on my hand.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Booties for Monica

These booties are for Monica who's due in early July.  I used Louisa Harding yarn in Thistle.  It's a DK weight yarn and I used size 8 needles.  The pattern is Plymouth's Yarn Angora Booties.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Bib for Eddy

This is the second bib I signed up to make.  It's also reversible.  The machine embroidery design was from Embroidery Library.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A bib for Tori

It's reversible.  The green side is terry cloth.  It was super simple to make and probably took less than an hour to make from start to finish.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Two Quilt Blocks

I made the quilt block (on the left) which will be part of a Project of Doom quilt to help the Make-A-Wish Foundation fill a little girl's Harry Potter dreams. I'm also knitting a beret in Gryffindor colors for her.  I'll post a photo when that is done.

The other block (on the right) is for the Crazy Quilt Journal Challenge.  I didn't get to embellish as much on my crazy quilt block as I would have liked. I ran out of month.  I hope to add more embellishments to it. I'm struggling to find a marking tool that doesn't tear the threads of the satin.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Tat Days Blocks Completed

The blocks are finally completed.  Here are the last 2 blocks:

I played around with my sewing machine's decorative stitches to over the seams.  On Monday I will send off all 7 blocks.

Now I can get back to the commissioned tatted doily and start my regular crazy quilt blocks.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tat Days Blocks 3, 4, & 5 Completed

I've completed 3 more blocks.  I didn't put any tatting in the sections with the oriental fabric because I couldn't find a color that went well in those sections without getting completely lost. Two more blocks to go.  Can't wait!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Feed Sack Tote Bags

At quilt guild yesterday, we learned how to turn plastic feed sacks into tote backs.  The first bag I made was the small bird seed bag on the left.  I didn't put the boxed corners in the right place so the picture is on the side instead of in the front like the bag on the right.

Sewing these plastic bags takes a little getting used to since you can't iron it and it isn't as flexible as cotton fabric.  And depending on your sewing machine, it can be difficult to get the binder clips under the free arm.  Who would have thought that office supplies would be part of to my sewing box?  Before I make any more bags, I'm going to give these some test runs to see how they do.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tat Days Crazy Quilt Squares

I have completed 2 out of the 7 squares I took during Tat Days 2013.  These squares, along with those finished by other tatters, will be sewn together into a quilt as a fund raiser for the Tat Days Scholarship program.  Two quilts are being made -- Flowers & Vines (which I took) and Tatting, Tea & Toffee.

Meanwhile, I'm making my foundation blocks for my regular crazy quilt. So far I have 8 made.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Birthday Gift


I shuttle tatted this collar using the pattern in Learn Needle Tatting by Barbara Foster. I made it for Rebecka.