Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crafting Update

During these past few months, I've been busy with yard work, the church's Women's Guild activities and a new church crafting group. We're making items to sell during the church's Fall and Spring flea markets. All monies earned will go to the church's capital campaign to pay off the church renovations.

I'm currently making the 'Squeeze My Cheeks and I'll Give You a Kiss' frogs in plastic canvas. I'm also going to be making some ornaments in felt. I found a really cute pattern for Santa's red underwear on the internet. When I get a bunch of different ornaments made, I'll post a photo. I'm also in the middle of making a Sunbonnet Sue door stop. It's going to be so cute when it's done! It fits over a 2 liter soda bottle.

I'm also learning to needle tat. I've seen some really nice tatted ornaments that I think will sell, hence my having to learn needle tatting. Holding the needle doesn't seem to hurt my hand. It was a long, frustrating week while I tried to pick up this craft. I can finally say, I'm getting the hang of it. I've learned a very important lesson -- I've learned to make sure I not only read the instructions carefully but that I understand the instructions and to check my stitches before taking them off the needle even if I think I know what I'm doing.


There's a coral reef exhibit on the University of Florida campus (http://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/crochetreef). I'm trying to make a piece of coral to add to the exhibit. The exhibit will be here until October 2011. There are some people who meet at the library over lunch to crochet for the exhibit. I wish I could join them. Unfortunately by the time I walk across campus, I wouldn't be there for very long before I would have to leave to return to my office. So, I'm working on it at home along with everything else.


No comments: