Monday, December 12, 2016

Off the Shuttles: Ornament #3

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this one yet.  I may hang it on my own tree.

The size of this ball is 3" instead of the 2 1/2" balls that I used previously.  Thankfully I only have 1 or 2 balls that are 3".

I'm not totally happy with it because I'd like the tatting to cover more of the ball.  The tatting only goes to the center of the ball.  I may move the tatting onto a smaller ball but I'll let it sit for a few days and see how I feel about it then. 

There are very tiny pins and very small pearl beads at every picot, join and reverse work junction. I used Lizbeth sized 10 in white.  I'm not a fan of size 10 thread.  It just doesn't look lacey to me.

The pattern is Snowflake #4 in the Barbara Foster book, Festive Snowflakes and Ornaments.  The book showcases the snowflake on a 2 1/2" ball.


2 comments:

muskaan said...

Would it help if you tatted another motif at the base, and joined to the dips in this one ? That should cover the ball ?

Laurie said...

I already thought about that. I measured the top piece and it measures about 2 - 2 1/4" and that's exactly the available space from the bottom to the center of the ball. It will be tight, if I'm not careful. But I already figured that out issue too. I'll rotate the snowflake of the bottom half so that the long chains and flower ring are below the short rings of the top half. I think that would look ok.